Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summerfest 2010 - Day 3, Saturday, June 26

Greetings music fans! It's been a great Summerfest so far and I expected nothing less from Day 3. As mentioned in my post from yesterday, Day 3's lineup was supposed to consist of 12 Stones, Red, and Skillet. I've seen 12 Stones at Summerfest in 2008. While I thought their albums were good, their live performance was less than stellar. Here is my review of them from 2008:

"Ahhhhhh come on! So much promise. I really liked their album and was looking forward to this show. But, alas, I was disappointed. Why did the leader singer have to be such a dweeb? Completely ruined it for me. Spent more time telling the crowd how to cheer. Shut up and sing!"

Needless to say, we weren't expecting much from them and were hoping to heckle them a little. But alas, that was not to be. 12 Stones cancelled. Put them on the list of bands that I never need to see again. So they got a band that had just finished at another stage to come and play again on THECOOLTV Rock Stage. The band was called The London Soul. They had a classic rock, funk sound to them. They were good. Hey, they got paid twice.

Probably the band I was there to primarily see was up next at 8:00pm...Red. I've seen Red in 2007 and 2008 and they never disappoint. Their two albums rock! Great show!! Music was great! Stage performance was awesome! They did play most of my favorite songs from them. For those who don't know them, the bass player and lead guitarist are twins. The were throwing their guitars around and spinning them around. The drummer did a very cool drum solo that was different than most. He drummed to popular songs from the Black Eyed Peas, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, and Eminem. Was very cool! Then they started jamming some AC/DC...Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long. Red finished strong and once again did NOT disappoint!

Headlining Day 3 at 10:00pm was a band that, I have to admit, I wasn't too high on...Skillet. Had listened to some of their older stuff and wasn't that impressed, so I had no expectations. But the crowd was INSANE! Reminiscent of the crowd at The Offspring last year. So I figured I was definitely missing something that Skillet had this big of a draw. A very young crowd too as was evident when I walked through the aisle with a beer and all the kids oohing and ahhing and saying 'that looks good'. Had to laugh. Adults too, but lots of teenagers. Anyways...on to the show...and what an awesome show it was! I was very very surprised! Their performance and music kicked a$$!!! Never had I seen so much smoke, fireworks, and pyro at a side stage! And I never have seen elevators on stage at SF either! You only see that stuff at the big arena shows. Was really awesome!! Skillet has a female guitarist/keyboardist and a female drummer...both HOT!! Think I'm in love! HAHA The drummer could wail!!! Drum solo was awesome! Another guitar solo! And just what might be the first time I have ever seen a rock band have both a violin solo and a cello solo! Very cool!! Skillet even came out and did an acoustic cover of Metallica's Enter Sandman. That was awesome. Many of the young kids didn't know what was going on. Great show!!! Definitely the surprise performance so far.

But there are 8 more days to go in my quest to "run the gauntlet". Day 4 is tonight. A little change of pace tonight. I started the week with some rock n roll. Day 2 brought music with more of a reggae, rap, dub genre. Day 3 was more rock n roll. Tonight I see three new bands...Civil Twilight, Paper Tongues, and Neon Trees. I really like Paper Tongues and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them.

Have a great day everyone. Rock on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment