Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summerfest 2010 - Day 2, Friday, June 25

When the Summerfest schedule was released, I saw enough bands listed in the lineup to think this was going to be a good year. Maybe not a great year as far as bands I have not seen yet, but a good year as far as bands that I enjoy or wouldn't mind seeing again. Nevertheless, Summerfest is a great time!

Well, I had commented to some friends that I 'could go every day' and they challenged me. They said I would never go all 11 days of Summerfest. They said it couldn't be done. That was it for me...the challenge was set. I am now heading into Day 3 of "Running the Gauntlet"...all 11 days of the World's Largest Music Festival.

Friday night was Day 2. On tap was 311 at the Miller Lite Oasis Stage. We get there and the stage was jam packed with people. Reminiscent of Judas Priest and The Offspring from last year. We managed to find some seats close, but not front row like I had on Thursday.

The 8:00pm band was a band called Pepper. They are originally from Hawaii and play a mix of reggae, dub, and rock. They were really good. I enjoyed them a lot. A very entertaining and fun show.

The headliner, as mentioned, was 311. Now I wasn't sure what to expect from 311. I was hoping that their live show would be a lot better than some of their albums. I had hopes that they would surprise me. They started off good, playing upbeat songs and many of their more popular songs. This is where it went downhill for me. The drummer performed a drum solo, which was a bit long, then the other guys came out and they all joined in on the drum solo. That turned out to be cool. But then the guitarist had to do his solo. Then the bassist had to do his solo. Then they all did some sort of a jam session/instrumental. Throw in two encores, which the last one they came out and played two songs I wasn't familiar with. A less than stellar performance for my standards. I was certainly expecting a bit more. Maybe if I was more of a 311 fan I would have enjoyed it more? Who knows? As it is, I'll check the box on another band that I have seen and add them to the list of bands I do not need to see again. Pepper, on the other hand, I would see again.

Backyard frisbee golf today. Getting ready to head down for Day 3. Tonight's lineup consists of Red and Skillet.

I'll check back in tomorrow with a recap of Day 3. Rock on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment