Sunday, August 15, 2010

One time at Band Camp...

Yesterday I went to JJO Band Camp for the first time. No, this isn't the silly band camp for high school marching bands. This is a one-day rock concert held annually in Madison, WI. But it's more than a rock concert...it's a metal concert and it was awesome! A friend offered me free tickets to attend and I went. So glad I did. For the last several years, I've checked out the lineup but never went. Now I know what I was missing.

The bands alternated between two stages and there was never more than 5 minutes without live, loud music. Not a bad band among them, though my least favorite is Buckcherry...just not a fan.  I arrived about 1pm. Shaman's Harvest was playing. The next band was 2 Cents. Funny little story...the lead singer stopped right in the middle of a song and yelled to some kid in the front, "Are you f*&king texting?! Are you kidding me?! Why don't you stick that up your vagina!"  Hilarious!

Seasons After, Dope, Janus all rocked...Dope was way cool! Sevendust came on about 4pm. They always put on a great show. Then Soil played. I can't believe they have another new singer. I think I've seen them 4 or 5 times in the last several years and this is the third new singer for them. How can they expect to make it big if they keep changing singers? Buckcherry was next. Like I said, I'm not a fan of them.

Anew Revolution rocked it. I saw them at Summerfest in 2008. They were even better this time around. Great show! Final act of the evening was Godsmack. I've never seen them live before. What a show! Played all of the favorites and some new ones from their new album, The Oracle. Sully and the drummer, Tommy Stewart did a double drum kit jam that was out of this world. For those who didn't know, Sully played drums for 20+ years before starting Godsmack. They both wailed!

Band Camp was definitely a great experience. Two rows of vendors that you would expect to see at a rock show like this...tattoo artists, t-shirts, custom motorcycles. They were doing air brush tattoos. Let me just say there were lots of ladies who were just sporting the artwork. They also had a booth for Miss Pole, a gym dedicated to exotic aerobic exercise classes.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, but you can check out some of the one's I did take here.

I'm looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment