Thursday, August 12, 2010

Proud to be a United States Marine

The other night I was invited to dinner with a friend. She had a friend in from Arizona who also would be joining us. As it would turn out, we were also joined by her friend, who was in town for business. So we headed to dinner at Harry's Bar & Grill in Milwaukee, WI. We commenced with small talk for a few minutes when this guy had revealed that he served in the Marine Corps. That's all it took and for a majority of the rest of the evening, he and I shared stories and talked about things that only Marines know how.

I have always been amazed at the strong bond that Marines share, regardless of when and where they served. A true brotherhood and I have not experienced anything else like it. The bond that Marines share is as strong, if not stronger, than family. When Marines meet each other for the first time, it's like they've known each other all their lives. I hear the Marine Corps Hymn and my chest fills up. I see the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and I beam with pride.

This year marks 10 years since the end of my active service. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my experiences in the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps has shaped me into the man that I am today and has prepared me for life's challenges. I often think about my decision to leave the Marine Corps and whether or not it was the right one. Hindsight is always 20-20 they say. My Marine friends, active and retired, tell me that it is not necessarily the Marine Corps that I miss, but the camaraderie of my fellow Leathernecks that I miss most. Perhaps they are right. I thought and toiled for a long time before making my decision to leave and I accept that I made the best decision at the time. My years in the Marine Corps are some of the best of my life and one thing is for sure...Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

Semper Fi!



1 comment:

  1. I will agree I'm just 13 years of age but when i get older it's going to be amazing in the marines i hope HOORAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete