Friday, July 5, 2013

I'm Awake I'm Alive

Now I know what I believe inside
Now it's my time
I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life

Of all the bands at Summerfest 2013, last night was the one show I knew was going to be awesome...Skillet. Skillet puts on, in my opinion, the absolute best show that I have ever seen at one of the side stages at Summerfest. Absolutely amazing!

Arrived on the grounds and walked around some. Got some food and a beer or two or three and then my brother went off to see Rush. I headed over to the Miller Lite Oasis stage. As I got closer to the stage, I heard a sound that I hadn't heard much of at all this year...hard rock! The speedy, finger-fretting guitars, the double bass, the growling lyrics. Oh hard rock, how I missed thee. The band was We As Humans. I've never heard of them before. They were pretty good. Near the end of their set, the singer was introducing a song that John Cooper, singer of Skillet, sang on with him. No sooner did the song start that John Cooper came out and sang it with them live. Pretty cool.

Just as the clock turned 10:00pm, I was able to squeeze in the middle of the sea of people. Skillet took the stage and commenced ripping our faces off. They kicked the show off with "Hero" followed by "Whispers in the Dark" and "Comatose". Then they played a song, "Sick of It", off their new album, Rise, which was just released a week ago. The new songs rock! Hell, Skillet rocks! Fireworks, sparklers, lights, smoke, fire, elevators, and a huge video screen were all part of this amazing performance that, as I mentioned, you just don't see at a Summerfest side stage. Of course, all of that is just icing on a cake of amazing rock music!  Their setlist included "Those Nights", "Awake and Alive", "The Last Night", "Savior", "Monster", and a couple more from their new album, "Rise" and "Circus For a Psycho". Skillet left the stage briefly. The cellist and violinist came out and performed a duet of "The Star Spangled Banner", to which everyone in the crowd provided the vocals. For their encore, Skillet killed us with "Rebirthing".




Check out more pics

Today we are doing a tour of Milwaukee Brewing Company before heading down to Summerfest again. Possible bands we might see...Hollywood Undead or Rick Springfield.  Who knows?

Have a great night!  Keep rockin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment