Friday, June 27, 2014

Blue on Black

Tears on a river. 
Push on a shove. 
It don't mean much.

Day 2 of Summerfest took me to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd, who, at this point in my music fan career, is quite possibly the best guitarist I have seen live since Eddie Van Halen. So amazing! The night started with Evan Christian, hailing from Milwaukee, who serenaded the crowd with bluesy rhythm and classy vocals. No backing band, just himself, his guitar, and his voice. Great bluesy cover of Stone Temple Pilots' Plush too. Kenny Wayne Shepherd and his band of all starts - Noah Hunt on vocals, Chris Layton (drums) and Reese Wynans (keyboards) from Stevie Ray Vaughan's Double Trouble band, and Tony Franklin (bass) who played in The Firm with legendary guitar player Jimmy Page and vocalist Paul Rogers. A show that surprised me, as I'm not very familiar with Kenny, but it far exceeded any of my expectations. Blue on Black was the one song I really knew. Everything else was great downhome blues with amazing guitar playing. Absolutely loved the finishing song of Jimi Hendrix' Voo Doo Child

Two nights of Summerfest. Two different genres of music. First with indie rock from the Arctic Monkeys. Then straight up blues rock with Kenny Wayne Shepherd. We'll have to see what's up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment