Friday, November 19, 2010

Climbing for a Cure

Last night, for the second year in a row, I participated in the Climb for a Cure event to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The event consists of climbing 47 floors - 94 flights - 1034 steps up the U.S. Bank building in downtown Milwaukee, WI. When I did this event last year, I had no idea what I was getting into and it turned out to be one of the most excruciating events I have participated in since Marine Corps Boot Camp. There is really no way you can train for this. Even weeks on a stair stepper or elliptical machine didn't help much. My one major mistake last year was starting off way to fast.  This year's motto was "Slow and Steady".  Well I have to say that I beat last year's time by almost one minute, finishing in 12 minutes and 11 seconds. Once again we had a small team of us (four this time) from my workplace and each one of us made it to top successfully. Next year we hope to grow our team to continue to support this great cause.

The main reason I, and my other friends, support the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and participate in events such as this one, is because of our close friend and coworker, Nicki, who has CF. Here is a woman who was diagnosed at the age of 6 months and has battled this disease her entire life. For the seven or so years that I have known her, she has never asked for preferential treatment, never asked for help, and always thinks of others before herself, even while not being able to breath normally. She is truly an inspiration.

Last year, in August 2009, Nicki received a double lung transplant. Last night, Nicki climbed 47 floors - 94 flights - 1034 steps. Truly amazing! Something she would not have been able to do before surgery. She even passed a firefighter coming up the stairs.  Sure he was wearing his full fire fighter gear, but that doesn't matter.

Here is our mighty little team. From left to right - Nicki, Me, Crystal, and Carey.



No comments:

Post a Comment